Most of the time my initial idea for a painting will turn into something completely different by the time I finish it. Here is a clear example.
This is the first version.
For the next stage I stencilled various names given to Jesus onto the canvas, making the letters contrast with the background, using black where the background was white and vice versa. I also stencilled the word “Truth” over the red “Jesus”.
While I could imagine the result I wanted, my technique wasn’t up to the challenge. I’m far too messy with paint and a lot of the stencilled lettering smudged, or the paint bled under the stencils and tape.
I could either perservere and try to neaten up the rough edges, or I could try something different. I took the second option and this is the result. I took the photo yesterday evening.
I covered most of the painting with “blue/black” diluted with acrylic paint medium. The “blue/black” came out more green than blue. Any blue in the painting comes from a weak wash of Cobalt Blue.
I reinstated the large white “I AM” by wiping some of the surface paint away with a damp cloth, then I used touches of Titanium White to give a few desired highlights.
The result has much more subtlety than the stark black and white image I’d originally intended, and I think the final painting is much better. Completing it has been encouraging. There is a local exhibition early in April and I’ve wanted to enter some new paintings. My progress has been very slow in recent weeks and I didn’t think I’d have anything ready in time, but now I’m feeling much more confident.
Here is a second photo of the same painting that I took this morning with a different camera. The only change I made to the painting was a slight adjustment to the bottom of the “I” in “I AM” but the difference in colour makes it seem like a totally different painting; proving the difficulties I have photographing my art. Neither photo captures the painting as seen in person.