October Garden

This photo was taken through the back window of the house and captured the insect screen as well as the garden. It shows the different kinds of raised beds I’m using.

Those with the grey concrete blocks are the originals. Last year I added the green corrugated beds and recently I included the silver ones at the back.

Most of the older beds are planted with onions and garlic. Half of the front one was planted with mizuna. That has now flowered, but I left it for its ornamental effect as well as for a new supply of seed.

In the green beds I have two kinds of broccoli. The third was planted with strawberries, but on the weekend Gloria transplanted the plants to one of the newer silver beds. The other new ones have been planted with lettuce and beans – the first bean shoots emerged this morning so I’ll have to find some way of protecting them against the frost for a few weeks.

The furthest grey bed (a bit of a blur in the photo) was used as an open compost heap over winter. I used it for my grass clippings, pulled weeds, dead leaves, and layers of straw. It has produced a beautiful rich looking soil into which I’m planning to put my zucchini seedlings.

Towards the right of the photo is a small mound of straw and plant prunings (another minor compost project). This is where I plan to put some butternut pumpkins.

As yet I still have no idea where to sow my corn seeds or where I can grow water melons. I have seeds of the latter in pots but they haven’t yet germinated.

In the centre of the photo, behind the birdbath are my attempts at espaliering apple trees. The closest one, A Fuji, is looking very neat and is already in blossom. The one to its right is a Worcester Pearmain. MY espaliering attempts with that one haven’t been quite as succesful and I need to reassess which branches to keep and how to train them more suitably.

Last year we managed to pick a few decent Fujis but most rotted. We salvaged nothing from the Worcester Pearmain. The whole lot spoiled. I’m not sure whether the problem was codling moth – we didn’t find evidence of any grubs.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s